3-day Course 55120A Outline
Module 1: Course Overview
This module explains how the class will be structured and introduces course materials and additional administrative information.
- Course Materials
- What We’ll Be Discussing
- Successfully log into their virtual machine.
- Have a full understanding of what the course intends to cover.
Module 2: SQL Server Integration Services Architecture
In this module we will explore architecture and version changes of SQL Server Integration Services. We’ll then cover the building blocks needed to understand packages and how they are created.
- Version Changes of SSIS From 2008-2012
- The SQL Server Integration Service
- Understanding Packages
- Managing with Control Flow
- Moving Data with Data Flow
- Understanding Variables
- Understanding Parameters
- Understand packages.
- Manage with Control Flow.
- Move data with Data Flow.
- Understand variables.
- Understand parameters.
Module 3: SQL Server Integration Services Tools
In this module we will learn about and utilize the tools available to assist with package creation.
- Utilizing the Import/Export Wizard
- Working in the Explore Window
- Creating SQL Server Integration Services Packages
- Utilizing Connection Managers
- Utilize the Import/Export Wizard.
- Work in the Explore window.
- Create SQL Server Integration Services packages.
- Utilize Connection Managers.
Module 4: SQL Server Integration Services Tasks
SSIS tasks are the foundation of the Control Flow in SSIS. In this module we will walk through tasks and utilize them.
- Coding the Script Task
- Looping and Sequence Tasks
- Utilizing Data Preparation Tasks
- Data Loading with the Analysis Services Tasks
- Using the Workflow Tasks
- Managing SQL with the SQL Tasks
- Administration of SQL Using the SQL Management Objects Tasks
- Code the Script Task.
- Utilize Looping and Sequence Tasks.
- Utilize Data Preparation Tasks.
- Load data with the Analysis Services Tasks.
- Use the Workflow Tasks.
- Manage SQL with the SQL Tasks.
- Administration of SQL using the SQL Management Objects Tasks.
Module 5: Data Flow
The Data Flow Task is where the bulk of your data heavy lifting occurs in SSIS. In this module we’ll discuss methods for optimizing sources and explain destination options.
- Optimizing Sources for Extraction
- Using Destinations and Understanding choices
- Examining the Transformation and Other Tasks (about 25 of them)
- Optimize sources for extraction.
- Use Destinations and understand choices.
- Examine the Transformation and other Tasks (about 25 of them).
Module 6: Variables, Parameters and Expressions
At one point or another, when utilizing SSIS packages, you will encounter the need for dynamic capabilities. This module aims to give you an understanding of how expressions work, and how variables and parameters set up expressions on your SSIS project.
- Creating Dynamic Packages
- Utilizing SQL Server Integration Services Data Typing
- Define and Use Variables and Parameters
- Using Expressions in Packages
- Create dynamic packages.
- Utilize SQL Server Integration Services data typing.
- Define and use variables and parameters.
- Use expressions in packages.
Module 7: Containers
Containers are objects in SQL Server Integration Services that provide structure to packages and services to tasks. In this module we will explain how to create and configure containers, and utilize them effectively.
- Overview of Containers
- Utilizing Sequences in a Container
- Utilizing Container Loops
- Utilize sequences in a container.
- Utilize container loops.
Module 8: Performing Joins
By using joins, you can retrieve data from two or more tables based on logical relationships between the tables. In this module we will explore joins and demonstrate how to use them.
- Performing Joins with the Lookup Transformation
- Performing Joins with the Merge Transformation
- Utilizing Cache Modes in Joins
After completing this module, student will be able to:
- Perform joins with the Lookup Transformation.
- Perform joins with the Merge Transformation.
Module 9: Tuning SQL Server Integration Services Packages
Before putting your package into production, it is beneficial to take some time to review your package with an eye toward preventing, or at least mitigating, performance problems. In this module we will take a close look at how the SSIS engine works and cover best practices to ensure proper performance.
- Examining the SSIS Engine
- Using the Best Practices
- Examine the SSIS engine.
- Use the best practices.
Module 10: Debugging SQL Server Integration Services Packages
This module describes procedures for debugging SSIS packages and follows with a section on error handling.
- Designing to Troubleshoot: Using Precedence Constraints
- Working with Advanced Logging and Reporting
- Handling Errors
- Design to troubleshoot: using Precedence Constraints.
- Work with advanced logging and reporting.
- Handle errors.
Module 11: Common SQL Server Integration Services Design Patterns
Design patterns help to solve common problems encountered when developing data integration solutions. In this module we’ll discuss how to choose among certain options, and cover deployment strategies.
- Choosing the Script Task or Script Component
- Working with XML
- Using Package Hierarchies: Parent Child
- Understanding Deployment Strategies
- Understand how to choose the Script Task or Script Component.
- Work with XML.
- Use package hierarchies: Parent Child.
- Understand deployment strategies.
Module 12: Installing, Upgrading, and Migrating to Windows 7
This module includes concept reinforcement scenarios to encourage students to use what they’ve learned throughout this course. Scenario solutions are provided.
- Scenario 1
- Scenario 2
- Scenario 3
- Understand how to use what they’ve learned in real-world scenarios.