Data Migration is a risky but essential part of most change programs. According to independent research from Bloor and Gartner more than 50% of data migration projects run late or over budget. Following the right data migration strategies created by experienced data migration specialists is essential for project success!
- 72% of data migration projects succeed if you profile your data before you budget
- 52% of data migration projects succeed if you profile your data after you budget
- 35% of all data migration fails
- 50% of data migrations fail when the in-house technology department lack data migration experience
- Business engagement, data migration project No.1 key success factor
- Proven methodology, data migration project No.2 key success factor
- 2/3 data migration projects involve archiving
- 50% data migration projects involve data masking
Most Common Reasons For Data Migration Issues Are:
- Hire Data Migration Consultants for a Pre-Migration Impact Assessment
- Not using a data quality tool
- A lack of a proven data migration methodology
- Minimal / no in-house expertise
Our Key Recommendations For Getting It Right:
- Pre-migration impact assessment
- Get ‘the business’ engaged and find buy-in on the project from key stakeholders
- Use appropriate software: data profiling, data quality, data integration (ETL), data masking, archiving
- Use a proven agile data migration methodology: we follow Practical Data Migration (PDM) or ICC
- Use a Data Migration Services Company who is comfortable with complex transformations: our staff are trained and skilled in complex data migrations.
ExistBI have completed dozens of data migration projects in the US, Canada, UK and Europe. We can provide the necessary expertise through teams consisting of data migration business specialists, data migration profiling consultants, data migration project managers, data migration architects, data migration ETL developers and data quality specialists.