Data Migration is a risky but essential part of most change programs. According to independent research from Bloor and Gartner more than 50% of data migration projects run late or over budget. Following the right data migration strategies created by experienced data migration specialist is essential for project success!
ExistBI provides an experienced certified team consisting of data migration business specialists, data migration profiling consultants, data migration project managers, data migration architects, data migration ETL developers and data quality specialists.
Our certified consultants help customers on System Integration, ‘software a’ to ‘software b’ mapping, legacy system retirement and platform upgrade data migration projects. These projects often involve enterprise platforms such as SAP/IBM/Oracle/SAS or 100’s of smaller niche Financial, Accounting, ERP, Human Resource, CRM, Sales & Marketing, Social Media data sources and software.
The Business Intelligence teams focus on traditional Data Warehouse and Cloud Data Warehouse data migration / ETL implementations which normally also require a data quality initiative.
Our teams also work on Cloud migrations for platforms such as Microsoft Azure, Amazon AWS, Google Cloud, Salesforce, IBM, SAP, Nutanix and Informatica’s Enterprise Cloud Data Management. We are accredited partners with many of these Cloud Companies.
- 72% of data migration projects succeed if you profile your data before you budget
- 52% of data migration projects succeed if you profile your data after you budget
- 35% of all data migration fails
- 50% of data migrations fail when the in-house technology department lack data migration experience
- Business engagement, data migration project No.1 key success factor
- Proven methodology, data migration project No.2 key success factor
- 2/3 data migration projects involve archiving
- 50% data migration projects involve data masking
Most Common Reasons For Data Migration Issues Are:
- Hire Data Migration Consultants for a Pre-Migration Impact Assessment
- Not using a data quality tool
- A lack of a proven data migration methodology
- Minimal / no in-house expertise
Our Key Recommendations For Getting It Right:
- Pre-migration impact assessment
- Get ‘the business’ engaged and find buy-in on the project from key stakeholders
- Use appropriate software: data profiling, data quality, data integration (ETL), data masking, archiving
- Use a proven agile data migration methodology: we follow Practical Data Migration (PDM) or ICC
- Use a Data Migration Services Company who is comfortable with complex transformations: our staff are trained and skilled in complex data migrations