This two-day Tableau Fundamentals training is designed for the beginner-level Tableau user. It is for anyone who works with data – regardless of technical or analytical background. This Tableau Desktop Fundamentals course is designed to help you understand the important concepts and techniques used in Tableau to move from simple to complex visualizations and learn how to combine them in interactive dashboards. This course will include extensive hands-on activities to re-enforce the skills and knowledge attained.
Our trainers are certified and enthusiastic about Tableau! For larger teams, the Tableau Fundamentals training is offered onsite at your office. Otherwise, online Tableau training is offered via live instructor-led virtual classroom.
All delegates receive course materials and access to our licensed Tableau environment for hands-on labs.
At the end of this class, the student will be able to:
- Understand the many options for connecting to data
- Understand the Tableau interface / paradigm – components, shelves, data elements, and terminology. The student will be able to use this knowledge to effectively create the most powerful visualizations.
- Create basic calculations including string manipulation, basic arithmetic calculations, custom aggregations and ratios, date math, logic statements and quick table calculations
- Able to represent your data using the following visualization types: Geographic Map, Page Trails, Heat Map, Density Chart, Scatter Plots, Pie Chart and Bar Charts, Small Multiples, Dual Axis and Combo Charts with different mark types, Options for drill down and drill across
- Use Trend Lines, Reference Lines and statistical techniques to describe your data
- Understanding how to use group, bin, hierarchy, sort, set and filter options effectively
- Work with the many formatting options to fine tune the presentation of your visualizations
- Understand how and when to Use Measure Name and Measure Value
- Understand how to deal with data changes in your data source such as field addition, deletion or name change
- Understand all of your options for sharing your visualizations with others
- Combine your visualizations into Interactive Dashboards and publish them to the web
Fundamentals Course Outline
- Connecting to data
- Simplifying and sorting your data
- Organizing your data
- Slicing your data by date
- Using multiple measures in a view
- Showing the relationship between numerical values
- Mapping data geographically
- Viewing specific values
- Customizing your data
- Analyzing data with quick table calculations
- Showing breakdowns of the whole
- Viewing distributions
- Highlighting data with reference lines
- Making your views available