ExistBI are an authorized Informatica training partner. We deliver the official 4-day Informatica PowerCenter 10 Level 1 Developer introductory course comprimised of server and client workbench tools that new Developers use to create, execute, monitor and schedule ETL processes. You will work through the PowerCenter Designer, Workflow Manager and Workflow Monitor tools while performing tasks such as creating source and target definitions, transformations, mappings, reusable objects, sessions and workflows to extract, transform and load data.
For more experienced developer teams or if your team is switching ETL tools, we can deliver a unique 5-day Level 1 and Level 2 PowerCenter training course.
After successfully completing this PowerCenter course, you will be able to:
- Utilize PowerCenter 10 Designer to build mappings that extract data from a source to a target, transforming it as necessary
- Deploy PowerCenter transformations to cleanse, format, join, aggregate and route data to appropriate targets
- Perform error handling/trapping using PowerCenter mappings
- Use PowerCenter 10 Workflow Manager to build and run workflows which execute sessions associated with a mapping and to control data transformation processes.
- Design and build simple mappings and workflows based on essential business needs
- Complete basic troubleshooting using PowerCenter logs and debugger
- Four days of instructor led training
- 60% lecture, 40% hands-on
- SQL knowledge
- Understanding of data warehouse fundamentals
- Data Integration developers with little or no experience of PowerCenter
- Database Developers and developer Managers new to Informatica PowerCenter
Module 1: An Overview of Informatica PowerCenter
- Overview of PowerCenter covering areas such as the Architecture, Terminology, Tools GUI, Mappings, Transformations, Sessions, Workflows and Workflow Monitor
Module 2: ETL Fundamentals
- Create flat file and relational Sources using the Source Analyzer
- Create flat file and relational Targets using the Target Developer
- Mappings using the Mapping Designer
- Workflows using the Workflow Designer
- Monitor the workflow using the Workflow Monitor
- Preview Target Data using the PowerCenter Designer
Module 3: Trouble Shooting
- Understand PowerCenter Log files
- Use PC log files to: View and look up error messages and Correct mapping and workflow errors
Module 4: PowerCenter Transformations, Tasks and Reusability
- Define list of PC Designer Transformations and Workflow Tasks
- Clarify Active vs. Passive Transformations
- Use the Expression Transformation and Editor in a mapping which applies a file list to load multiple flat files into a stage table utilizing expression and filter transformations to format and screen erroneous customer data
- Use Reusable Designer Transformations to apply same formatting logic to Employee records
Module 5: Features & Techniques
- Outline use of Arrange All and Arrange All Iconic
- Show ‘Autolink’ feature
- Show ‘Select Link Path’ feature
- Define Propagation of Port Properties
Module 6: Joins and Link Conditions
- Define Joins
- Clarify Heterogeneous vs. Homogeneous Joins
- Use a Joiner Transformation to join relational and flat file sources
- Use the Source Qualify to join two relational sources
- Make use of Link Conditions to execute one session when the first finishes successfully.
Module 7: Using the Debugger
- Outline Debugger Interface
- Show creation of a break point
- Show ‘Evaluate the Expression’ functionality
- Re-Execute mapping with different values
Module 8: Sequence Generators, Lookups and Caching
- Define the Sequence Generator
- Define the Lookup Transformation
- Understand the different types of Lookups
- Clarify Lookup Caching
- Use a Flat File Lookup to add data to a relational target.
- Create a Multiple Row Return Lookup, use Aggregators and Expressions to count the number of orders a Customer has as well as total the sales for that customer. Add those values to a target.
- Build a Dates Lookup Cache for use in determining start and end dates of target records
- Utilize Event Wait, Event Timer and Email Tasks to wait for flat files and email users upon successful/failed load.
- Use a decision task to set criteria by which the workflow will decide which execution branch to follow
Module 9: Update Strategies, Routers and Overrides
- Build a mapping that uses Update Strategies and Routers to determine insert/update logic for a target. Overrides will be used for incremental (daily) loading of the target.
Module 10: Sorter, Aggregator
- Unconnected Lookups
- Mapping Parameter/Variables and Mapplets/Worklets
- Define Sorter Transformation
- Detail Aggregator Transformation and Aggregate Functions
- Explain Unconnected Lookups and how they are called.
- Describe Mapping Parameters/Variables and initialization priority
- Outline Mappets and Worklets
- Use these Transformations to create a mapping which loads records from warehouse Dimension tables to a Fact table.
- Parameter File Instruction.
Module 11: Mapping Design Workshop
- Business requirement details will be provided so that the student can design and build their own mapping necessary to load a Promotions Aggregate table. The workshop will provide Velocity Best Practices documents that can be used to determine the correct logic for the mapping
Module 12: Workflow Design Workshop
- Business requirement details will be provided so that the student can design and build their own workflow necessary to load all staging tables in a single workflow. The workshop will provide Velocity Best Practices documents that can be used to determine the correct logic for the workflow.